9.24.2010

Grandma

Grandma was a special lady. She was quiet, a devoted friend, hard worker and fervent prayer. She was some one I looked up to, and some one I considered a good friend.

Grandma always knew when I called unexpectedly that I might be feeling lonely, overwhelmed, and in need of a listening ear. She gave the best advice.

Grandma never made me feel inferior that I needed her help. She didn't even let on that she knew why I was calling... When I was lonely, she would tell me that she never felt alone when she read her Bible. The Lord would come and be with her. When I was overwhelmed, she would talk about the greatness of the Lord. She would tell me that she prays for me every day, and that she would be lifting my specific need to the Lord. She always listened intently.

I had such a good grandma; her legacy in life in the Lord still lives in my heart.

It has been over a month since her passing. Actually, on the 19th was a month. The same day that marked the anniversary of my mom's passing 11 years ago.

I have been sad thinking of all the special women who have passed in my lifetime. It isn't going to get better, as we will all pass away. The Lord has been showing me that the only way to go on in this life is knowing this life is not the end. God promises to give us eternal life (and abundant life here), and that I will be reunited forever with all my sisters who have passed.

Every morning I wake up to John crying or cooing (hopefully cooing!), and I remember my responsibility as his mom. I could greet him with a tired, frustrated face, or savor his sweet smile as he grins back at me. It's a good reminder for me to choose Joy and Peace during my day. The way I greet little John could determine whether he likes mornings for the rest of his life! Gram was awesome, I never remember spending time with her when she was in a bad mood!

In the last couple months of her life, Gram talked a lot about the Lord coming back for us. She could not wait to see her Jesus and all the family who went ahead of her. When she talked about dying, I told her that wasn't happening for at least 20 years still! But, the Lord knows my grandma- all the ways she served with out any one knowing, all the aches and pains, all the prayers of her heart.

Now that she's gone, I see why she studied about Jesus coming back. She lived a long life and was well acquainted with grief. Jesus' Hope of eternity and Hope for her on earth was so real. Maybe through her prayers, but definitely by the Lord, I am learning the same thing.

No comments: